Monday, June 7, 2021, 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
- HEINZ GÄRTNER, International Institute for Peace (IIP); Universities of Vienna and Krems, Vienna
- STEPHEN HERZOG, Harvard University’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, Boston, and Nuclear Arms Control at the Center for Security Studies, ETH Zurich
- ALI ASGHAR SOLTANIEH, former Iran’s ambassador and permanent representative to the Vienna- and Geneva based international organizations, Vienna
- MAHNAZ ZAHIRINEJAD, Institute of Mediterranean and Oriental Cultures, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw
- STEPHANIE FENKART, International Institute for Peace (IIP), Director, Vienna
According to most international observers the talks on the revival of the agreement on Iran’s nuclear program (JCPOA) are in the final phase. Much has been agreed upon. Some hurdles still remain. Three working groups have been set up to negotiate which sanctions on Iran will be lifted and how Iran will return to its commitments of the original JCPOA of 2015. The panel will discuss the course of the negotiations in Vienna and the interests of the different parties. If there will be an agreement by the date of the panel, the panelists will discuss the results. If there will be no results yet, the panel will discuss why not.
[TALKING GEOPOLITICS] With Prof. Heinz Gaertner on Iran Nuclear Deal and the West (Podcast)